Nutrition is a division of science that studies about different factors of food and its nourishment. The standard nutritional necessities of people are set and that depends on such measurable characteristics such as degree activity, rate of growth, sex, weight, age and height. Good nutrition needs a sufficient diet, which is competent of sustaining the individual consuming it; in case of good health it provides nutrients in required amounts. Clinical nutritionists mainly focus on nutrition of the patient. They address the nutritional deficiencies in a patient before prescribing them any drugs.
Dietetics is also a science that helps in managing nutrition and food in order to support good health. Diet plays a very significant role in advancement of health and welfare of an individual. A better balanced diet helps to improve the quality of life while a poor diet may lead to morbidity and diseases. Nutritionist perform the research on food which helps to know about the different components of food we intake and the right kind of food which gives a balanced mixture of the essentials nutrients such as minerals, proteins and vitamins.
In general, dietetics deals with the management of food where as nutrition is concerned with the promotion of health.
- Helps to develop technologically, economically and socially possible methods to manage dietary and nutrition problems in our country.
- It encourages the research and develops future scientists in nutrition.
- Advices government and health bodies on issues related with nutrition.
- It helps to develop newer administration and management techniques to observe nutrition and dietetics.
- It identifies dietary & nutrition problems in segments of populations.
- Encourages nutritious eating habits through research and education.
- It also encourages fostering and maintaining the highest possible standards in the field of Nutrition and Dietetics.
List of Courses:-
- Certificate Courses in Dietetics & Health Education
- Certificate Courses in Nutrition and Dietetics
- Diploma in Dietetics and Nutrition
- Diploma in Dietetics and Applied Nutrition
- Diploma in Dietetics, Health and Nutrition
- Bachelor of Science in Nutrition and Dietetics
- Master of Science in Nutrition and Dietetics
- Post graduate diploma in Dietetics and Nutrition
For admission in a bachelor’s degree, the candidate must have passed the higher secondary school certificate (10+2) examination with science subject. The duration for the bachelor degree course is 3 years and for diploma course is 2 years.
The eligibility criteria for pursuing a master’s degree are holding a graduation degree with science subject. The duration for master's degree and post graduate diploma course is 2 years.
Some of its specialized fields are: -
- Sensory Science
- Community Dietitians
- Consultant Dietitians
- Clinical Dietitians
- Public Health Nutrition
- Food Toxicology
- Management Dietitians
- Nutritional Physiology
- Molecular Nutrition
- Nutrition in Health and Disease
People of the world are spending most of their time in offices since they are involved in inactive jobs which results in lack of exercise. This kind of life style increase the stress level. The first precautionary measure a person can take is a balanced and healthy diet. Nutritionists and dieticians have various career options. Community dietitian’s advice individuals and groups on nutritional practices intended to prevent disease and to promote good health.
Nutritionist can be employed in various fields such as colleges, research institutes, schools, companies, private or govt hospitals, airlines, office cafeterias, yoga center, maternity, govt's health depts., athletes camps, mass media sector, etc, where their advice is required to promote eating healthy food. In addition, they can also work as private practitioner and private consultant.
They work in places like health maintenance organizations, home health agencies, and public health clinics. Well experienced dietitians can opt as a director, associate or assistant of a dietetic dept or can also become a freelancer. Some dietitians are specialized in renal or paediatric dietetics areas.
Some Job Types:-
- Therapeutic Dietitian
- Food Show Host
- Sports Nutritionist
- Nutrition Trainer
- Administrative Nutritionists
- Public Health / Community Dietitian
The income of Dietetics & Nutrition professionals depends on the job and the area of work. A professional working in research institutes, govt. hospitals, colleges and other agencies income are set by the govt., which is around Rs.8.000 - Rs. 15.000 every month, depends upon their experience and work profile.
Consultants in private practice can make more money depending on their practice. Graduates working in private sector such as food manufacture, yoga center, restaurants, office cafeterias, maternity, athletes’ camps, and mass media can get higher salary.