In India, Telecommunication courses have become more diverse with the passage of time. Starting from telephone to internet and then mobile technology, there has been an unexpected rise in communication. Telecommunication engineering is the science which deals with designing, implementation and managing telecommunication hardware, software and systems for processing and transmitting information. It is a major field within Electronic Engineering.
Telecommunication Engineering course convey training to students on a wide range of telecommunication devices such as cable TV, satellites, navigation, computer networking, mobile phones, radar, aviation etc. India is facing a massive demand for telecommunication engineers due to fast growth in the field of mobile telephony, internet and satellites.
Telecommunication Engineers mainly deal with wireless communication or radio communication. The work of these engineers comprises of installation, supervision and maintenance of telephone exchanges and telephone lines. In today’s world important towns, cities, trade centers, and ports are linked with underground cables or radio links. Likewise countries and continents are connected by means of fast-emanating, information-carrying communication networks.
Few courses offered under this field are: -
- Diploma in Electronics and Telecommunication Engineering
- Diploma in Telecommunication Engineering
- Bachelor of Engineering in Telecommunication Engineering
- Bachelor of technology in Telecommunication Engineering
- Master of Engineering in Telecommunication Engineering
- Master of Technology in Telecommunication Engineering
- Advanced Post Graduate Diploma in Telecommunication
- Post Graduate Diploma in Telecommunications
For admission in a bachelor’s degree, the candidate must have passed the higher secondary school certificate (10+2) examination with science subject such as biology, maths and chemistry. For IITs, It is mandatory to qualify in the Joint Entrance Examinations (J.E.E). The duration for this course is 4 years.
The eligibility criteria for pursuing a master’s degree is holding a bachelor's degree in (B.E/B.Tech) or any other equivalent branches of engineering. The duration for this course is 2 years.
Few Specialized fields under this category are: -
- GPRS Network
- GSM Architecture
- Internet Protocol Media System
- Mobile Telephony
- Voice Over Internet Protocol
- Wireless Communication
There is a vast requirement for telecommunication engineers in this world of satellites, internet and mobile telephony. As the technologies are quite new, so there are several technical glitches which need to be sorted out. To provide solutions to such glitches engineers are required in huge demand by government sectors, electronics, broadcasting sector, and manufacturing sector. In addition to these, telecommunications engineers also find employment in broader areas such as instrumentation engineering, control engineering, computer engineering, electronic engineering and systems analysis.
Graduates can also find employment in other areas of information and communication technology. Telecommunication engineers are furthermore employed by the Ministry of Communication, and information and broadcasting sectors, railways, police, BSF, CRPF and defense related organizations. Apart from this they are also employed by private companies as well.
Few Job Types in this field: -
- Central-Office Engineer
- Embedded Software Engineer GSM / GPRS
- Network Technical Support Engineer / Technical Analyst
- Outside-Plant Engineer
- Power Products Engineering Sales
- Senior Data Planning Engineer
- Senior Software Engineer - 3G
- Service Desk Engineer / Help desk Support
- Switch Operations Group Technician
- Telecom Equipment Engineer
Few Employment Areas in this field: -
- Broadcasting Service Providers
- Wireless Telecommunications Companies
- Internet Service Providers
- Road traffic informatics
- Call Centres
- Satellite TV Companies
- Military Communications
- Telecom Equipment Industries
- Wired Telephone Services
- Computer networking