Psychology is an associated study and analysis of the human mind. It is a systematic and scientific study of animal and human mind and their behavior and thoughts. The important area in psychological study is animal and human mind, feelings, motives, nature and reactions. By studying the patient’s behavioral pattern the psychologists counsel them to change their thinking and lead a better life. The demand for counselors is rapidly increasing due to inadequate emotional support received by people from others in today’s busy world.
A person who is engaged in this profession is called a psychologist. The skills of a psychologist are utilized in various areas such as sports, law, management, education and human services. The psychologist tries to change the patient’s behavior pattern without utilizing any medication. Although a psychologist at times does not need a particular medical degree, he has to study as well as research several years for specializing in different areas within psychology.
Students can opt for psychology as a subject in intermediate, graduation, post graduation and at the doctorate level. Psychologists are engaged in practicing, teaching or researching on any of the several branches within applied or clinical psychology.
- Understanding of mental problems and it's solution
- Assist and benefit humanities, the natural sciences and the social sciences
- Estimate common sense knowledge about how people function
- Psychology helps to understand both current situation and historical field.
List of Courses:-
- Bachelor of Arts Honors in Applied Psychology
- Bachelor of Arts in Applied Psychology
- Bachelor of Arts Honors in Psychology
- Bachelor of Arts in Psychology
- Master of Arts in Applied Psychology
- Master of Arts in Counseling Psychology
- Master of Arts in Psychology
- Master of Philosophy in Applied Psychology
- Doctor of Philosophy in Psychology
- Bachelor of Arts in Journalism, Psychology and English
Students seeking admission in graduate degree course in psychology must have passed higher secondary school (10+2). The duration of this course is 3 years.
Students holding bachelor degree in any stream are eligible for this course. The master degree course duration is 2 years.
Some of its specialized fields are: -
- Clinical psychology
- Educational psychology
- Child psychology
- Occupational psychology
- Experimental psychology
- Social psychology
A graduate in psychology can seek jobs in various sectors such as private industry, universities, schools & colleges, clinics, hospitals and in government agencies. Some graduates work under the management of doctoral level psychologists. Psychology graduates can also work in sectors such as in health centers, as assistant in administrative department and rehabilitation sector. A student in international relations gets more preference in physiology field.
Some of the placement areas:-
- Advertising Industry
- Research Establishments
- Rehabilitation Centers
- Welfare Organizations
- Child/ Youth Guidance Centers
The work of psychology is tough but has good income. The income also depends upon the experience, specialization and qualification. The remuneration earned by psychologist in NGOs, colleges and school can earn Rs 8000 – Rs. 10000 every month. In the field of industrial sector and in corporate house the income is even higher. A graduate in psychology can opt for teaching jobs in research institutes, universities and in colleges.